Karola Ruth Siegel
Karola Ruth Siegel, born in Germany on June 4th 1928, was sent to a children’s home in Switzerland at the age of ten which became an orphanage for most of the German Jewish students who’d been sent there to escape the Holocaust.
At 17 Ruth went to Israel where she fought for that country's independence as a member of the Haganah, the Jewish freedom fighters. She then moved to Paris where she studied at the Sorbonne and taught kindergarten.
TOP TEN THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT DR. RUTH
10. Dr. Ruth was a sniper in the Haganah
9. Dr. Ruth studied psychology at the Sorbonne
8. Dr. Ruth has her own board game, Dr. Ruth's Game of Good Sex
7. Dr. Ruth was married 3 times, has 2 children and 4 grandchildren
6. Dr. Ruth has written 35 books and counting
5. Dr. Ruth is a Gemini
4. Dr. Ruth is fluent in 4 languages:
German, Hebrew, French and English
3. Dr. Ruth is a certified "Swiss House Maid"
2. Dr. Ruth is 4 foot 7 inches tall
1. Dr. Ruth is currently single and about town every night.
As a child with her parents.
Ruth (back row, third from the right) as the world's shortest kindergarten teacher.
As a sniper for the Haganah in Israel.
Becoming Dr. Ruth
Dr. Ruth pioneered speaking frankly about sexual matters on the radio with her program, "Sexually Speaking." It began in September of 1980 as a fifteen minute, taped show that aired Sundays after midnight on WYNY-FM (NBC) in New York. One year later it became a live, two-hour show airing at 10 PM on Sundays, on which Dr. Ruth, as she became known, answered call-in questions from listeners. This wildly successful show aired for more than 10 years. Soon it became part of a communications network to distribute Dr. Westheimer's expertise which has included television, books, newspapers, games and home videos.
Doing what she does best.
On the set of Quantum Leap.
Debra Jo Rupp as Dr. Ruth Westheimer